What is the Federation of Master Builders?
The Federation of Master Builders (FMB) is the UK’s largest trade association in the building sector and has been for 70 years helping reputable builders to maintain standards among other things.
You can have confidence when you do business with a member of the FMB because they have been vetted against very strict criteria and only those builders and specialists who have passed the FMB’s vetting process are accepted as members. Membership criteria and checks include:
- Committed to offer all customers the option of a building work guarantee
- A minimum of three years trading history and have provided three years accounts
- Signed a TrustMark licence
- Had an inspection on a job in progress on joining and on a completed development every three years thereafter
- Will have to undergo an inspection of a job in progress
- Passed credit checks, public record and director checks
- Verified that they have no un-discharged bankruptcies or relevant and outstanding County Court Judgements
- A minimum of twelve months trading history
- Provided two references, one client reference (preferably from a work in progress) and one professional reference
- Employer (if applicable) and public liability insurance
- VAT registration (if applicable)
- Confirmed their business address/details
- Agreed to abide by the FMB Disputes Resolution and Complaints Procedures
- Signed up to the FMB Code of Practice
Benefits of doing business with an FMB member
Buy with confidence from reputable vetted members
- High standard of service and workmanship as FMB members comply with the requirements in the code of practice
- Complaints handling procedure. The FMB sets standards that builders have an obligation to meet.
- Building work guarantee